Match the following terms with their definitions:
(3) A. Statute (5) B. Administrative Agencies (1) C. Common law (2) D. Stare decisis (4) E. United States Constitution | 1. Law created by judges.2. Let the decision stand.3. A law passed by Congress or a state legislature.4. The supreme law of the land.5. The IRS; the EPA; the FCC; the SEC. |
Circle true or false:
1. T F The idea that current cases must be decided based on earlier cases is called legal positivism.
2. T F Civil lawsuits are brought to court by the injured party, but criminal cases must be prosecuted by the government.
3. T F Congress established the federal government by passing a series of statutes.
4. T F The federal government has three branches: executive, legislative, and administrative.
5. T F Law is different from morality, but the two are closely linked.
1. More American law comes from one country than from any other. Which country?
2. Under the United States Constitution, power that is not expressly given to the federal government is retained by
(a) The courts
(b) The Congress
(c) The Founding Fathers
(d) The states and the people
(e) International treaty
3. Judges use precedent to create what kind of law?
(a) Common law
(c) National law
(d) Local law
(e) Empirical law
4. If the Congress creates a new statute with the President's support, it must pass the idea by a ____________ majority vote in the House and the Senate. If the President vetoes a proposed statute and the Congress wishes to pass it without his support, the idea must pass by a ____________ majority vote in the House and Senate.
(a) simple; simple
(b) simple; 2/3
(c) simple; 3/4
(d) 2/3; 3/4...