Unit one: Principles of personal responsibilities and working in a business environment
You should use this file to complete your Assessment.
• The first thing you need to do is save a copy of this document, either onto your computer or a disk
• Then work through your Assessment, remembering to save your work regularly
• When you’ve finished, print out a copy to keep for reference
• Then, go to www.vision2learn.com and send your completed Assessment to your tutor via your My Study area – make sure it is clearly marked with your name, the course title and the Unit and Assessment number.
Please note that this Assessment document has 8 pages and is made up of 7 Sections.
Section 1 – Know the employment rights and responsibilities of the employee and employer
1. Identify four main points that would be included in a contract of employment. If possible, use an example contract to support your answer (feel free to obscure any confidential information).
The contract of employment is the document that sets out what you can expect of your employer and what your employer expects of you. Some information may not be included e.g. disciplinary or grievance but information must be given as to where the information can be found e.g. staff handbook. Four of the main points that should be included in a contract of employment are:
• Job description.
• Start date.
• Rate and date of pay.
• Hours of work.
2a) List three key points of legislation that affect employers in a business environment.
• Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.
• Data Protection Act 1998.
• Pay and Pensions e.g. The Equality Act 2010, The National Minimum Wage Act 1998.
2b) List three key points of legislation that affect employees in a business environment.
• Employment rights and responsibility.
• Working Time Regulations.
3. Identify a range of places where a person can find information on...